Tuesday 7 April 2015

The Smell of Spring

The feeling of nostalgia is a weird one. It almost feels as if your gut is being wrenched back in time, your eyes see faded half images that you can't quite piece together. It can be brought on by anything really, a certain song, a TV show, a road you haven't been down in a while; but I think the strongest trigger of them all is a smell.
I could smell a perfume my Mum hasn't worn for years and tell you for a fact that she owned it at some point in time, emotions and memories come flooding back with even the most bizarre of scents.

I started thinking about this today as I was sitting outside. The sun was shining so beautifully and there was nothing I could do to prevent myself from dashing to the garden and attempting to soak up every last ray. It hit me as I was sitting there that I could smell the change in the seasons, a thing that I've always loved being able to do. There's nothing quite as comforting as smelling spring in the air. 

Today was different though. I haven't smelt an English spring for 7 years, which sounds like an odd thing to say, but it really does smell extraordinarily different. I don't prefer it, there's nothing that makes one stand out from the other. The fact was though, that this one brought memories back like a wave of emotion. It wasn't one particular memory, nothing too vivid, but the overwhelming thing was that I could feel every single spring I've ever spent here. I felt like a child again essentially. That pure, unadulterated glee that you feel when you're little and the sun comes out for the first time in months. 

The blossom tree in the back garden is seriously beautiful.

Theres something about garden sheds that screams spring and I still have no idea why??

Naturally I reached for my camera to attempt to capture some fraction of what I was feeling. And to be completely honest I think I did an alright job, (though to be fair the sun makes it very hard to get a  bad photo). 
Then this entire fiasco somehow managed to turn into a puppy photoshoot with the resident 'gorgeous-ball-of-fluff', Evie. If anything she only assisted in capturing that feeling that I'd been aiming for. She seemed to be just as thrilled with the sun as I was, and just happens to be an excellent model!

like seriously she photographs so well, even when there's lens flare all up in her face

Soph also made cupcakes which I felt I should include as they're super pretty and spring-y

So after a cupcake (or... maybe three) and some time to reflect, I think the weirdest thing about the  the smell of spring, is that one day, it'll stop feeling so nostalgic. Even more off putting is that the next time I smell the seasons change in Australia, I might feel just as nostalgic as I did today. 

I've yet to decide whether I like the feeling of nostalgia, in some ways it's comforting to know that those memories are still there, but on the other hand, it can be painful to think that you maybe aren't the person that you were when you initially felt them. Self growth is weird, fascinating, but definitely weird. 

Until next time, which let's be honest, could be months from now... soz not soz? 

Georgina Kay 



No comments:

Post a Comment